Coalition Government delivers $100 million for Outback Way

10 November 2017

Australian Government: The next step has been taken in upgrading one of the key east-west transcontinental road links across Australia, with the Coalition Government today formally approving $100 million for 13 high priority upgrade projects on the Outback Way.

Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester said the funding delivered on the Coalition's 2016 election commitment to upgrade the 2,700-kilometre route crossing Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia

“Around 210 kilometres of Outback Way will be sealed and widened by mid-2021, including 182 kilometres which is currently unsealed,” Mr Chester said.

“This is a major investment in a significant project, which will deliver substantial long-term benefits to every community it touches and the national economy.

“A safer and more efficient Outback Way will be a major boost to the tourism sector, businesses and remote communities that rely on the route as their key link across the north, and we have worked closely with northern jurisdictions and key stakeholders to identify each priority section requiring upgrading.

“The 13 projects approved today have been identified as the highest priority sections across the route.

“The works to be undertaken will improve the reliability of the Outback Way, reduce travel times and costs to freight operators and improve access across the region while reducing the risk of accidents.

“The Coalition Government is committed to ensuring these upgrades start as soon as possible to give communities and businesses the transport infrastructure they need to thrive.”

The Coalition Government will contribute up to 80 per cent of costs for each project, with state and local governments to contribute the remaining 20 per cent.




Source:  Australian Government -

Contact:  N/A

External Links:  N/A

Recent news by: Australian Government